Kevan shared a video with me the other day about a phenomenon we have all experienced or heard about: the sense that time speeds up as we get older. You know what I mean, right?
The video was highlighting some of the scientific explanations for this. One of them was that our neurons fire more slowly as we age, so the outside world passes by more quickly than our brains are interpreting it. There were two other explanations, though, that were far less depressing and much more interesting.
Firstly, time seems to slow down when you’re a child because everything is new. We are processing so much information that time seems to move like molasses. As we get older, we don’t have to process as much new information so our sense of time speeds up.
Secondly, when we’re doing something engrossing, like reading a good book, creating a new piece of art, solving math equations, playing a sport, etc., we also experience a sense of timelessness. When we emerge from the flow state, it seems that time has flown by extremely quickly. As we get older, we become more engrossed, giving us the sense that time is moving very quickly.
But, we don’t really want life to just fly us by, right? The video offers some solutions for slowing time down:
1. Do things that scare you a little bit. In moments of fear, our perception of time slows almost to a halt. If you’ve ever jumped off the big cliff at Silver Springs, you know what I’m talking about.
2. Collect novel experiences. Doing new things forces our brains to process more information, thereby slowing down our sense of passing time.
As we hurtle to the end of 2021, give yourself the opportunity to think about your upcoming year. How can you slow your moments and enjoy your life more fully? What new experiences can you plan for yourself to stimulate your brain’s response to novelty? Here are some ideas:
- take a class on a topic you know nothing about
- learn a skill on YouTube
- visit a place you’ve never been
- join a group with completely unfamiliar people
- get a new job
- take up a new sport
- DO A DECORO BOUDOIR SHOOT (shameless self-promotion, I know 😁 )
Speaking of a boudoir shoot, our Black Friday Sale goes live this Friday but only through our newsletter so subscribe now!
Today’s profiled shoot is so beautiful. E has some vintage lingerie that is so elegant. Thanks so much, E, for allowing us to share some of her pictures!
Black Friday Sale
Our Black Friday Sale goes live this Friday through our newsletter only. What does the sale include? For ONLY $69 (reg. $299), you get:
- hair, makeup and shooting time
- $100 Album Credit
- 2 outfits from studio wardrobe
BUT, the there are only 10 spots available so you must subscribe to our email list and watch for the Black Friday email!